Denture repair is needed when these prosthetics become damaged for any reason. If you find yourself dealing with a set of damaged dentures, you have two main options.
The first would be to purchase a denture repair kit and perform the necessary repair on your own. These dentures kits can be bought at local grocery stores or online. The second option is to take the device to the dentist's clinic, where it can be fixed by a qualified professional or sent to a lab for repairs.
Taking dentures to a dentist is the recommended way to have them repaired, though some people feel comfortable trying to fix them on their own. Here are the pros and cons of each option:
1. Denture repair without professional help
Restoring dentures without the assistance of a dentist typically is not recommended, but it is the most affordable way if the patient knows what they are doing.
- Good option for people working with a tight budget
- Allows the patient to carry out repairs according to the person's personal schedule
- There is no need to wait for an appointment before having the issue addressed
- Repairs can take place once the denture repair kit has been purchased
- The patient does not have to go without having a set of dentures to wear
- There is a high risk of complications, since the patient likely does not have the qualifications required to make repairs
- The patient might not be satisfied with the end result
- The prosthetic can end up being more damaged than it initially was, leading to more costly repairs
2. Taking dentures to the dentist for repairs
Taking dentures to the dentist is the preferred option. That guarantees the device is in the hands of a qualified professional who will not damage the prosthetic any further and can perform repairs the patient will be satisfied with.
- Repairs are covered by most insurance plans, unlike the cost of repair kits
- The workmanship is guaranteed to be professional
- Adjustments to the fit can be made if necessary
- The device will be restored to its normal condition once repairs are completed
- Patients are required to schedule an appointment and wait their turn
- This is the more expensive solution if the patient does not have dental insurance
- The patient might have to do without the prosthetic while repairs are being made
What happens when denture repair is not done?
Continuing to wear a damaged set of dentures can lead to a variety of dental issues. For starters, dentures lose their proper fit when damaged, and this often leads to the device rubbing against the soft tissues in the mouth. Over time, these tissues become inflamed, and that can eventually lead to infection. Wearing damaged dentures can also lead to cuts and damage to other parts of the mouth.
There is no need to be unhappy with the way your dentures fit. Schedule an appointment with one of our dentists and get your prosthetic fixed.
What are you waiting for?
Request a dental appointment here: https://www.sandeferpremierdental.com or call Sandefer Premier Dental at (225) 663-1793 for an appointment in our Denham Springs dental office.
Your dentist can suggest several tooth replacement methods that can fix your missing teeth. Dental implants are one of those options, but their cost can be prohibitive for many patients. For that reason, many patients …
Denture repair is often necessary to repair the damage done to these prosthetics that naturally occur over time due to wear and tear and changes to the patient's jawbone. These changes often lead to poorly …
Dentures and partial dentures can repair a smile after tooth loss. Visit us for a proper dental cleaning to prevent tooth loss. Dentures and Partial DenturesIf you have lost a tooth, dentures and partial dentures can …
Dentures can give patients a second chance at life when it comes to having a full set of teeth. Dentures allow patients to eat favorite foods, speak clearly and be able to smile without fear …